Having said that. There is this amazing program its a waiver program through the state that will help me help her. I don't know how else to describe it. The kicker is she had to enter a nursing home for 3 months. Long story short she wanted nothing to do with a nursing home. With a lot of explaining and begging and pleading she went along with it and is now halfway done with her stay. She will be out in October and we are counting down the days!
This was her after a week of being there. I visit her as often as I can get down there. She wont admit it but I think she kinda likes it there. She has made tons of friends. She plays bingo, Yahtzee and bunco. The aids and nurses always come by and let me know how much they love my mom. Also as I walk in her room her face lights up and she brags about beating everybody at bingo and shows me her prizes. =)

Along with all the many other activities she gets to be a part of she really loves the desserts. She tells me all the time...mmm I had the best peach cobbler today. This is on the 24th July!
This handsome young man and beautiful young lady is Patrick and Marge. I have grown to really love these two people.Patrick had a stroke a while ago. He always always greets me whenever I come to visit. He greets me by saying..WOW, YEAH. OH BOY! (these are the only words he can say) and then ends it with a high five. One day we were in the rec room with the kids and he came in and put puzzles together with the girls, you could tell he was just soooo happy to be with us. Although I don't know much about Patrick, I do know that he is a good guy and loves company.
Marge is so sweet. She chases me down in her wheelchair and stares at me! One day I finally said, hi! how are you? the only response I got was, I want to see your baby! Of course I tell her and she smiles and strokes his hand and tells me how cute he is. As do many of the older folks in the nursing home but there is such a genuine sweetness about marge.

In a very weird way I am so grateful for this experience. It has taught me and my family so much. I never ever had any interest in nursing homes, in fact I avoided them all together but again I'm so glad I got this opportunity to learn more about the older generation. It has also taught me that I am going to spend a good chunk of my life sitting around doing nothing! So get out and explore life! You are only young once!

In a very weird way I am so grateful for this experience. It has taught me and my family so much. I never ever had any interest in nursing homes, in fact I avoided them all together but again I'm so glad I got this opportunity to learn more about the older generation. It has also taught me that I am going to spend a good chunk of my life sitting around doing nothing! So get out and explore life! You are only young once!
If you can find the time please pray for my mama. I would appreciate it. And if you ever get a chance go by a nursing home and visit the residence. They get so lonely and they love love love company.
1 comment:
I have a love/hate relationship with nursing homes. I know exactly what you are saying though. There are so many precious lives hanging out in those places. I love to visit the people when I get a chance. My G-pa passed away yesterday so I won't be going to the one in Malad for awhile. I'm kinda glad for that.
Anyway, your mother is very lucky to have such a loving daughter. I wonder if there is a chance she would rather stay at the home to have a social life. Some nursing homes are fabulous and make their residents lives better.
Post a Comment